Doing Your Part:
Giving Back to the Environment Through Beauty
The world around us going through change; climates are shifting, making sustainability more of a focus, and the need to all play our part is more important than ever. In 2018 alone, more than 1.5 million kilograms of waste was thrown into landfill, with a lot of this stemming from unnecessary packaging.
As beauty brands are stepping up and taking a stand on a more positive, greener future, we're highlighting how you can do your part to give back to this precious earth.
Know that everyone can make a difference
Don't for a second think that your actions won’t effect the planet. If everyone were to think this way, we'd end up going backwards in our journey towards sustainability; everyone can help to create a better and healthier world. Your actions matter.
It starts with minimising waste
Landfill is a huge problem across the globe, but it’s also a significant challenge right here in Australia. At Ena, we heavily encourage minimising waste by attempting to reduce rubbish where possible. Here are a few simple ways you can get started on cutting your waste:
- Composting: This strategy is good for several reasons. Firstly, composting saves water by allowing the soil to carry more moisture and reduce the need for watering. But bigger than that, it’s the recycling of organic or natural resources that gives back to the earth, instead of throwing it into landfill. We recommend checking out this guide for some handy ways to get started with composting.
- Recycling appropriately: Sometimes understanding the system surrounding recycling can be confusing. Most council guidelines vary, but here are a few rules of thumb you can take into consideration when trying to decide between using your general waste or recycling bin.
- Avoid single-use plastics: Otherwise known as disposable plastics, this type of rubbish is commonly used across a number of industries. Shopping bags (ones you can't reuse), food packaging, cosmetic packaging, bottles, straws and plastic cutlery all fall under this category. Even using containers or cups that you can't reuse can have a significant impact on the environment. At Ena, instead of using single-use plastics, our unique tubes are specially made from 33% Post-Consumer Recycled (PCR) materials (and are 100% recyclable). This is the highest level available, at the time of manufacture, to safely contain our natural botanicals. As the science improves, we’ll improve with it to ensure we minimise our carbon footprint.
- Choosing sustainable energy sources: Solar and wind are becoming more and more a part of the Australian energy landscape. You can reduce your electricity bills and help the environment by choosing more eco-friendly, sustainable sources for your energy. At Ena HQ 80% of our electricity is produced through our very own solar system, featuring panels that are installed across our site. Both households and businesses can benefit from this strategy anywhere in Australia.
- The simple things: Check around the house for drafts. By reducing your heating and cooling use this way, you can save hundreds of dollars a year from your energy bills. Keep blinds and curtains closed on those really hot days and cold nights to keep your home’s temperature at a comfortable level, naturally.
You can find out more about how Ena is committed to social and sustainability-driven efforts by following our projects here.